In my magazine, Antonious, multiple conventions are challenged. The most obvious being the name. Most magazines catering to female audiences have either feminine names (e.g. Marie Claire, Claudine Women's Magazine) or names that are distinctly not masculine (e.g. Vogue, Cosmopolitan). However, I personally hold the belief that girls can be whoever they want to be, and maybe that means being a little masculine. The other reason for the name is because my friend, Tony, told me to name my magazine after him.
Another convention I broke was not using backgrounds on a lot of my images. I've seen it done with usually a body part, like a hand to show off a girl's nails in Cosmopolitan, but never on a full body. I did this because I wanted to force the reader's attention to the outfits the girls are wearing. The photoshoot was done at the skatepark where there are lots of graffiti and exciting things in the background, so I just cut the background out.
However, one convention that I did use was a color theme. Elements of pink are seen throughout the magazine and give it a cohesive look. I have seen this in multiple magazines, most notably in Teen Vouge's. The repetitive use of the muted pink ties other elements together.
In terms of social groups, only four models were used, but many social groups are represented:
On the cover is Alexa. She is clearly a caucasian blond teenage girl and, based on her makeup, is representative of girls with an editorial style.
Next is Allie. She is also white but represents the goth style. She is seen with spiky black hair, pink eyebrows, and black clothing that shows she is clearly alternative.
My last two models are Kailey and Nya. Both are being pictured in a skatepark, so they represent a more sporty, but laidback lifestyle. They are both sporting clothing that is popular due to social media, so they represent girls who may be internet famous or aspiring to be. Aside from clothing, Nya is African American and provides representation for the black community.
No comments:
Post a Comment