Friday, November 15, 2019

Genre Research: Marie Claire

Marie Claire, founded by Jean Prouvost in France in 1937, was created to empower all women with the latest fashions and beauty tips. By the end of WWII, Marie Claire has sold nearly a million copies.

According to their website, Marie Claire today is, “ present in 29 markets around the world including Europe, the Americas, Asia Pacific, South Africa, and the Middle East, making Marie Claire one of the most widely recognized women’s fashion media brands in the world.” Through the use of broadening their reaches in various countries, implementing websites and social media platforms, and broadening their topics, Marie Claire has reached an audience of over 90 million people today. 


The first image is of the cover photo. I like the close-up face and the pink text that seems to outline the photo but still overlaps. I really like the pink on top of the orange background because those colors are close together, but the contrast still allows visibility.




I really dislike the look of this table of contents. The images just look to me as if they were randomly placed and I dislike the look of centered text. I do not find this TOC attractive at all, but I can appreciate the wide variety of articles that are displayed: war horror stories to fashion. I found that reading this magazine was incredibly interesting with the variety of articles.
This is a method of how they help sell their magazine, by adding free samples into their pages. I think this is a very smart idea, considering this free sample made me buy the magazine. It also shows what type of advertisements they use in the magazine, which is expensive skincare, mostly directed toward women.


This last image is of a lookbook in the magazine. I really like the eclectic look of the page with the collage-like layout. I really want to add a sponsored lookbook to my magazine.



No comments:

Post a Comment